Friday, September 14, 2007

Nebraska Express, Wednesday

I had a beautiful day crossing Nebraska on back roads, reenacting my own Pony Express. Nebraska back roads are as straight as an arrow, less flat than you'd think, and with a 65 mph speed limit. I started the day at about 2,000' above sea level, and very gradually worked my way to over 3,500'.

Who's afraid of those dirt roads?!








And how 'bout this for a vet's name in cattle country?! "Hahhh. I'm Doctor Bob Stear, but my friends call me "Bum'."




Yes, there is such a place.



Corn, soybeans, and the beauty of the world's biggest agricultural factory were ubiquitous!


















This feed lot holds 15,000 head of cattle! They fatten up here before their trip to the, ahh, well let's say before they make it to the drive-thru McWindow.
The rancher told me 15,000 head is a "small" feed lot! They range up to about 150,000 head, and I saw one of those big ones, inbound to Yuma, Colorado.



Dennis (the cyclist in yellow) is the happiest man I'll meet on this trip, riding 2,300 miles from Minneapolis to California! We met at the Nebraska-Colorado border, along with a couple from Vermont. Dennis first dreamed of this trip 5 years ago, and he is having the time of his life, spreading his ample good cheer to everyone he meets... what a guy, BRAVO Dennis! Check out his progress on his blog at www.DennisMcCoyBicycling.blogspot.com.


As Eddy Merckx said, Dennis, "Ride, ride, ride."




1 comment:

Dennis McCoy said...

Jay,

This image sure brings back great memories. It was wonderful meeting you at the Colorado border and learning about your journey.
Enjoy a fantastic adventure!

Dennis McCoy
Eden Prairie, Minnesota