Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lightning Strikes Twice

Lightning kept me from the summit of the Wetterhorn in Grindelwald, Switzerland a couple weeks ago, and it kept me off the summit of Long's Peak (Rocky Mountain National Park) early on Saturday morning. A scheduling snafu caused my climbing guide to cancel his rendezvous with me, ruling out the more-exciting technical routes up Long's, so I decided to go alone on the normal hiking route (Keyhole Route.)

Perfect timing! The light rain started exactly when I did, in the chilly dark at 2.30 AM on Saturday. The trail starts at 9,405', and by the time I was out of the trees (about 10,000') lightning backlit the high ridge I was heading for. It was windy and rainy, with some hail and some sleet, temps in the low 40's, dropping into the high 30's as I gained altitude. I felt good, and I was making good time. At about 12,100', at 4.30 AM, I met four grad students from CU, and we were all getting jumpy about the lightning and the general conditions. After some sort-of closer lightning, we decided to hunker down behind a boulder and see if the storm passed. By 5.30 it was still blowing and raining, lightning returned to the ridge, I bailed out, and I was taking a shower back at the bunkhouse by about 8! It was disappointing not to summit, but good to know I still can make the bail-out decision, too!
Looking back after sunrise during my retreat. That's Long's Peak in the background, with light snow on the right flank...




Smooth hiking... this isn't a New England trail!



On my way back to Boulder from RMNP, I met Eddie and Carol and their Honda Gold Wing. It's a big motorcycle, but I think it's smaller than the Golf. Eddie and Carol have logged over 20,000 miles of weekend and vacation touring on the big bike the last few years.

I'm thinking of trading in my old-fashioned pedal bike for wunna these motor bikes with the cushy seat.

2 comments:

charlestonfarm said...

JJR - as I said before: WOW! We are most envious of all this. Just so you know, I have been fall-cleaning the digs up in Sonoma for your arrival. Brought in lots of air-freshener and fired up the steam cleaner for a test run to make sure we can restore the place to pristine condition after you leave. Pips has been on a fitness regimen so that she is fully buffed for your arrival. And I have been steadily progressing towards 6-pack abs to prove to you that this body is in absolute show-room condition. Get ready for a diet high in full-cream fat, calories and low fiber. Sonoma awaits!

Uli said...

Hi Jay,

This is Uli writing - we chatted at the Colorado Mountain School the night before you were heading up Long's Peak. Sorry to hear you didn't summit but better be safe than sorry ... I'm happy to report that I headed up there the day after and summited in stormy winds but sunny weather (before clouds came in and brought some rain and thunder around noon).

I also stayed at Jenny Lake campground last week and found it sensational.

I'm planning on doing some camping & hiking & mountain biking on the east coast in October and remembered that your from NH - do you have any ideas? I'd love them at uli.sailer@gmx.net if you have some time.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your amazing trip!

Uli