Monday, September 17, 2007

Bye Thoms, Bye Boulder. Northbound...


Thoms and me at the top of Berthoud Pass, Colorado, 11,315', on the Continental Divide (for the first of several times this trip!). Kind of a landmark, eh? Water in front of me flows to the Colorado River and the Pacific Ocean, water behind me flows to the South Platte (stuuuudents.... do you remember the Great Platte Valley from my first day in Nebraska?). It was a big climb, about 2,850' of vertical gain in 12.7 miles.




My speed here is estimated unofficially at 75+ mph. Could be a bit less than that, but that's how it felt anyway.


I had a fine time visiting Thomson. He looks more and more like someone who actually graduated from college, and wonders and worries about budgets and tax rates and career decisions and car repairs, and about Maddie-the-girlfriend and visiting friends and buying a new mountain bike and where we should go to dinner. He's a great son, and offers a fine sofa to sleep on, should you ever visit in Boulder... which is exactly where you should visit. We had a good-bye coffee at my favorite corner cafe near his place, bid adieu for a month, and I headed north for Wyoming.

No comments: