Thursday, September 20, 2007

Big Biking Hills in Wyoming Wednesday!

Hoback Canyon, and a double traverse of Teton Pass totalled over 6,500' of climbing in about 65 miles. My legs were feeling it coming up Teton Pass the second time on the return. Yowza, I'm not at home anymore... long, steep climbs, at altitude!

First, Hoback Canyon...


The careful reader will remember that I loved the drop through Hoback Canyon on my drive into Jackson, Wyoming, and I hoped to get back there on the velo. I did!





It's an 8-mile climb, easy rolling grades, gaining a little more than 1,300'. Beautiful scenery, changing leaves, sparkling water (the Hoback River, of course), and a fun descent.




Teton Pass was a totally different climb... a thigh burning cranker from bottom to top! It's the main drag from Wyoming into Idaho, and that climb from the Wyoming side is relentless, almost a steady 10% grade.


I met a United pilot from Boulder, CO, on the way up, and I hope we reunite in Boulder in a month. Here we are at the pass after climbing from the Wyoming side. Rod rented a bike in town during his overnight layover, and charged up the pass!



I then went alone down the Idaho side to Victor, and then back up the pass to return to Wyoming.
Ugly jerseys repel errant drivers.










No comments: