Monday, October 01, 2007

In Memory of Nick Schield

It was a cold and rainy Saturday in Yellowstone National Park when I learned about Nick Schield's death. Our Riley family is so sorry to lose Nick, so happy to have known him for these sixteen years, and so inspired forever by his relentless spirit.

Mike and Jill's enduring love and devotion to Nick's health and happiness have taught a special and unforgettable lesson to so many of us. I'm so happy I had my time with him a couple weeks ago in Wilmette... surely the luckiest consequence of this whole trip.

I had Nick's gift to me from years ago with me on this trip, on my climbing harness (the little plastic "Lego Man Jay"), where it has been for 6 (?!) years, on many adventures, in many places... my source of strength and my reminder not to complain in hard times. A few hours after Nick died, I took Lego Man to the top of Mount Washburn, in Yellowstone. Dusk gathered with rain, winds 40-50 mph, and cold. I ducked into the fire tower at the summit, and the federal fire warden look-out came down from his apartment perch to find out why someone was visiting his tower on such a miserable night. Ed the Retired Fire Chief from Hadley, Mass., was kind and curious to hear about Nick. I finally went back outside, kissed Lego Man good-bye, and slipped him between the flat rocks of the retaining wall just below the summit sign.

I headed down in the dark, with my headlight, in truly horrible weather, but so warm and comfortable inside from all the Nick memories I sorted through, and from the strength and goodness he and his family have given to all of us. Thanks and love to Nick, and to Mike and Jill, Nina and Audrey.

1 comment:

Nick Drinker said...

Jay,
We missed you on Boys Weekend. We did Washington via Tuckerman. Avoided the Boot Spur route due to 60-80 MPH winds. But nothing beats The Grand T. Did it when I was 16. But never did surrounding peaks. Have a great trip.
Nick.